The Williamsburg Branch Library was the first of 21 Carnegie libraries built in Brooklyn and is one of 18 still standing today.
Built in 1903, this 26,000 square-foot brick and limestone classical revival building was designed with wood wainscoting and fireplaces. It has a basement, 2 stories, and a mezzanine. Failing roofs and masonry required our office to design an upgrade and renovation campaign for the exterior masonry, roof, parapets, and interior. Among our extensive and detailed scope of work, notable upgrades to the building include: replacement of mechanical equipment on the roof; removal of the roof membrane down to the protection board; installation of a new built-up roofing assembly; replacement of damaged face brick; replacement of existing windows; addition of areaway drains and stormwater detention to eliminate flooding; and repair to interior facades.