Originally designed by C.B.J. Synder and constructed in 1908, Public School 28 was part of a family of three rural school buildings. Built in the Tudor Revival style, the now Historic Richmond Town Archive is the last remaining former freestanding, rural schoolhouse in the city.
The project focused on restoring a 1938 addition and its distinct low-slope roof and brick-masonry parapets with precast concrete coping stones.
Suffering extensive damage to the exterior from flooding and age, Nelligan White set out to restore the building to full functionality and structural integrity. In addition to water infiltration from the roof drain at the ceiling, walls, and windows, the roof itself was leaking, putting the library collection housed on the first floor at risk. Our team found severe cracking in the masonry and many windows to be inoperable and, in some instances, falling to pieces.
Nelligan White recommended and executed a restoration campaign that included replacing all damaged windows and doors, replacing the masonry parapet and roof membrane, and installing new window guards.