By the late 1950s, schools were incorporating materials and technologies in new construction that had come into use for commercial and industrial architecture following World War II. These schools were exemplified by irregular massing of geometric shapes, emphasis on the horizontal, and exterior metal window wall and panel systems which can be found at
PS 111 M.
Under the direction of Michael L. Radoslovich, succeeding Eric Kebbon in 1963, PS 111 M was designed in 1956 for a Midtown West lot on 53rd street, between 9th and 10th avenues. Completed in 1958, the school is a prime example of postwar architecture in New York City Public Schools.
PS 111 M is comprised of three primary masses. A four-story tower, containing the bulk of classroom space, which is composed of a cast-in-place concrete frame with masonry infill and buff-brick cavity wall. Flanked on either end of the main tower are two single story wings containing a gymnasium, auditorium, lunchroom and administrative offices. These wings are also composed primarily of a cast in place concrete frame with masonry infill and buff-brick cavity wall.
Advanced deterioration of the original steel windows and curtain wall necessitated a complete replacement of those systems, as well as the replacement of much of the deteriorated architectural terra cotta. The building is landmark eligible so all work was performed in a manner appropriate to the original structure.