IS 109 Queens was built in 1925 and is an 116,000 square foot building consisting of steel frame with brick-clad terra cotta shell. It is landmark eligible.
In order to address the extensive water infiltration inside the school we undertook a masonry replacement campaign. Indications of extensive steel deterioration led to an all-inclusive replacement of face wythe masonry, which allowed for the installation of a continuous narrow-cavity drainage plane behind the face brick. Also, every decorative terra cotta piece was replaced with a cast stone replica. Damaged interior finishes were replaced, as well.