New York City owns three handsome landmark armories, built between 1891 and 1910: The Park Slope and Bedford/Atlantic Armories in Brooklyn and the Franklin Avenue Armory in the Bronx. The Department of Design and Construction turned to Bovis Lend Lease to manage the design-build effort of major capital improvements to these deteriorated structures.
In January of 2001, the firm began work on the 2nd Battery Armory on Franklin Avenue in the Morrisania Section of the Bronx. This significant landmark building had deteriorated due to years of deferred maintenance prior to the transfer of ownership from the State to New York City in the 1990s. Once home to the 105th artillery unit of the National Guard and more recently a women’s homeless shelter, the Franklin Armory will likely service a variety of community needs now that this award-winning emergency stabilization is complete.