New York City owns three handsome landmark armories, built between 1891 and 1910: The Park Slope and Bedford/Atlantic Armories in Brooklyn and the Franklin Avenue Armory in the Bronx. The Department of Design and Construction turned to Bovis Lend Lease to manage the design-build effort of major capital improvements to these deteriorated structures.
Built in 1891, the Bedford-Atlantic Armory is an outstanding example of a late nineteenth-century National Guard Armory in New York City. It is the second largest armory ever built in New York City. Originally the home of the 23rd regiment, it has since served as both a homeless shelter and a stage set for films and television. Part of an emergency stabilization and building upgrade for the Department of Design and Construction, the renovation included extensive reconstruction and restoration of the facade and parapet. The entire roof was also replaced using 109,256 sq ft of a vapor barrier with new and reclaimed slate shingles, 1000 sq ft of lead-coated copper and 2450 sq ft of modified bituminous roofing.