Whitman Houses are located near historic Fort Greene Park in Brooklyn. The development was constructed as Fort Greene Houses by NYCHA in 1944 in part to address the pressing housing needs of the thousands of employees at the nearby Brooklyn Navy Yard, and was later renamed after famous author Walt Whitman.
The intervening 60 years have taken a toll on the thirty-five buildings. The required repairs include masonry repair and replacement, new lintels at windows, and replacement of aging curtain wall windows at the entrances. Nelligan White and NYCHA investigated several options for addressing the deteriorating parapets, including at last a modular metal perimeter guardrail.