The Heckscher Building was commissioned to be built in 1921 by real estate magnate, financier, and philanthropist August Heckscher. Originally the building was used as a “public” building with dedicated spaces for an occupancy use of an orphanage, which the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children owned and operated.
The rooftop was initially designed as a play roof and is still used as such. It provides an area for physical education, an open-air playground and sports activities such as basketball. As per an analysis of the roof done twelve years ago, the waterproof membrane throughout was in poor condition. During the past twelve years minor repairs were made, but the entire roof is now in poor condition. We replaced the roof at the entire north wing and the east half of the south wing of the Heckscher Building.